Your vision of the future of Linux audio

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

chaocrator
Establlshed Member

Re: Your vision of the future of Linux audio

Postby chaocrator » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:06 am

m4l3z wrote:
chaocrator wrote:another thing that might happen in the future in linux audio world — more people might realize how cool is the ability to run synths and other software in headless mode, and why.

What do you mean by headless ? as in no GUI ?

as in no any UI )
1 (physical) machine is sufficient to control synths/plugins instances running on a few (physical) machines.

CrocoDuck
Establlshed Member

Postby CrocoDuck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:20 am

m4l3z wrote: linuxaudio.org really inspired me because it acts a bit as a frontpage for linux audio as it references a lot of useful information, softwares, tutorials, toolkits and libraries for developing. But sadly a lot of links are dead and it's not up to date globally and not aesthetically very pleasant so I had the idea circling in my head to fork it and make a cute up to date front page. The point is that I think that a big picture of the state of linux audio helps knowing what is available, what do we miss, what is reusable/can we build upon. I also created an acount on linuxaudio.org, I should correct those dead links as soon as I have time.

THIS

plus this:

folderol wrote:I think we need more people doing the most uninteresting part of any project - documentation.
I've lost count of the number of programs that have great potential, but it's all 'hidden' with only some cryptic man page. Now I know there are people out that that actually enjoy this kind of work, but how do we find them?

I wanted to go through the documentation and start correcting links myself. I managed to do it just a couple of times before I run out of time. I can barely maintain the links I collected in my blog posts... But I believe I could find an hour or so every week in which I could give an hand.

By the way, about system configuration documentation, we found in this thread that it would be nice to have some experimental method to assess system audio performance, so that we can keep the audio configuration tips up to date or even discover new ones. Unfortunately, I cannot get this project started: too time consuming and I lack test computers. A clear way to test/discover tweaks, so that we keep the documentation effective, is something we need.
Check my Linux audio experiments on my SoundCloud.
Browse my AUR packages.
Fancying a swim in the pond?

sadko4u
Establlshed Member

Postby sadko4u » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:57 am

folderol wrote:I think we need more people doing the most uninteresting part of any project - documentation.
I've lost count of the number of programs that have great potential, but it's all 'hidden' with only some cryptic man page. Now I know there are people out that that actually enjoy this kind of work, but how do we find them?

I think the best idea is to open LinuxAudio WIKI at LinuxMusicians to collect all information and documentation about up-to-date audio software. WIKI format is easy to use and edit by many people.

m4l3z

Postby m4l3z » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:15 am

CrocoDuck wrote: I wanted to go through the documentation and start correcting links myself. I managed to do it just a couple of times before I run out of time. I can barely maintain the links I collected in my blog posts... But I believe I could find an hour or so every week in which I could give an hand.

I started this morning and updated all versions and release dates for the category Sampler/synths(standalone) : https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/synth_apps. I'll find some more time soon to work on another section.
I noticed that the website says that they are looking for front-end / web-devs so if you know someone spread the word, a more polished interface could really help.

Lenny
Establlshed Member

Postby Lenny » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:15 am

I don't know exactly, but it for sure looks like open source is taking huge steps also the audio world.

When I started with Linux, there was only few buggy audio SW available, some sample processor and couple of humble sample trackers. That was a time when things like Reason were coming to Mac/Windows world, and the general consensus was that it's not gonna happen in OSS. Now I see Linux is in such a good shape that there's really no need to look for other options.

If people are looking for easy to use, polished products, Mac is still much better options. But I have this feeling that in the algorithmic music and music research Linux is a very good option. So if in the future we are seeing more and more music written by learning algorithms, maybe that's one direction where Linux audio could thrive.

milk
Establlshed Member

Postby milk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:44 pm

m4l3z wrote:Like what would you love to see software-wise, feature-wise, community-wise ..etc

* More Ableton/Bitwig style clip launch style loop sequencing - game-changing performance mechanics
* Beatmatching software for module music - so much classic hardcore techno, breakbeat hardcore, jungle, dnb, chiptune and more mods out there [1]
* Composers Desktop Project LV2
* An audio log/journal utility that does Opus. [2]
* Innovation in MIDI routing - more intuitive methods of automating send/insert patching. I can't really describe that until I get around to creating the like in Moony.lv2 or such..

[1] there is Chipdisco, with track muting, beatmatching and pitch alteration, but it's mono (left=cue, right=live) and buggy.
[2] there is fmedia, which does things like dynamic normalisation, but it doesn't have a GUI on Linux.

I'll be having a look at the LA wiki in the future, hopefully once OpenID login is fixed. I've spent many hundreds of hours working on my own wiki so there's a lot to update to a more 'central' information repo.
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

Return to “Music & FOSS Advocacy”