KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
sadko4u
Establlshed Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby sadko4u » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:52 am

I am diappointed that there was only one plugin that was designed for Linux and one plugin that can work under Linux but requires JRE and some other specific stuff.

User avatar
tramp
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby tramp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:50 am

sadko4u wrote:I am diappointed that there was only one plugin that was designed for Linux and one plugin that can work under Linux but requires JRE and some other specific stuff.


Really ?
Maybe it's related to the specs of the challenge.

kvraudio wrote:The Prize Fund (Money Money Money)

The prize will be cold, hard, cash, made up from donations from the KVR community. Donations can be made via PayPal and will be held in escrow by KVR Audio until the winner has been selected. The prize will be paid to the eventual winner via PayPal. We'll endeavor to keep the prize fund total updated here.
The prize fund will be split:
30% to the Windows Plug-in or Standalone Application entry with the most votes 1, 2
30% to the Mac OS X Plug-in or Standalone Application entry with the most votes 1, 2
20% to the next highest placed entry
10% to the highest placed Soundware entry
10% to a wild card random selection (maybe an iOS or Android entry, if we get any!)
Additional prizes, donated by fellow developers, will also be available and distributed on an ad-hoc basis.

1 These can be the same entry. If it is multi-format and gets the most votes the entrant would receive 60% of the prize fund.

2 Yes we know Linux (and other OS) appears to be overlooked but the Linux (and other OS) userbase at KVR is very small so we'll concentrate prize distribution on the two major Operating Systems for audio production - Windows and Mac OS X.

User avatar
sadko4u
Establlshed Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby sadko4u » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:55 am

tramp wrote:Really ?
Maybe it's related to the specs of the challenge.


Rules say: any platform, any software. I think if I could provide Win/MacOS version, the result could be a bit another. Indeed, it would be nice to get voting stats to perform retrospective while preparing for the next DC.

Luc
Establlshed Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby Luc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:43 pm

I am aware that Linux is a second-rate citizen at KVR, as a reflection of the world in general. That doesn't bother me that much. As linuxers, we run into that kind of thing once in a while, but less frequently now than we used to, and we have a much better overall computing experience than the rest of the world. Whenever I feel like complaining, I ask myself: Would I like to trade places with a Windows or Mac user? Hell, no! Never. I'm better off than they are. Let them get the occasional little perk and be a little less miserable.

We're fine.

ssj71
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby ssj71 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:55 pm

I think thats probably proportional to the number of audio developers for each platform. I for one was interested but just didn't have time to get a new plugin together. :( I'm really glad you represented Linux though in the challenge, sadko. It would be much worse if there were no linux plugins at all in the comp. Thanks.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!

User avatar
funkmuscle
Establlshed Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby funkmuscle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:00 pm

sadko4u wrote:
tramp wrote:Really ?
Maybe it's related to the specs of the challenge.


Rules say: any platform, any software. I think if I could provide Win/MacOS version, the result could be a bit another. Indeed, it would be nice to get voting stats to perform retrospective while preparing for the next DC.

Exactly why I think AT TIMES Linux stays within its own community as we get no respect from other platform users until a plugin or program developed for Linux becomes cross platform and still they don't show any appreciation. I know it's great if other platforms start recognizing us and these users start using Linux butt I think that's a long long road away.
Maybe if we concentrated on Linux only and we make it the best we can as possible, then they may notice instead of catering to the other platforms.
What I'm trying to say is making Linux a lot more appealing. Just from we the community making it stronger will work. Like the old saying goes, build it and they will come.
From guys like myself who can not code a program or anything like that just start using only Linux based software and plugins and not rely on wine and maybe help our coders and programmers by giving feedback on what they have created to make everything as usable as possible. That's just my take on this.

Luc
Establlshed Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby Luc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:10 pm

funkmuscle wrote:Exactly why I think AT TIMES Linux stays within its own community as we get no respect from other platform users until a plugin or program developed for Linux becomes cross platform and still they don't show any appreciation. I know it's great if other platforms start recognizing us and these users start using Linux butt I think that's a long long road away.
Maybe if we concentrated on Linux only and we make it the best we can as possible, then they may notice instead of catering to the other platforms.
What I'm trying to say is making Linux a lot more appealing. Just from we the community making it stronger will work. Like the old saying goes, build it and they will come.
From guys like myself who can not code a program or anything like that just start using only Linux based software and plugins and not rely on wine and maybe help our coders and programmers by giving feedback on what they have created to make everything as usable as possible. That's just my take on this.


Linux will never be more appealing than it already is, unless something really nasty happens to Windows and people are left with no choice. Making Linux "more appealing" would require breaking many aspects of its paradigm and dumbing it down. No linuxer wants to see that happen.

Forgoing Wine is just a waste of good software. A lot of effort has been put into it, it works, and it's very useful. It is, in fact, something that makes Linux more appealing.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Establlshed Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby funkmuscle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Luc wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Exactly why I think AT TIMES Linux stays within its own community as we get no respect from other platform users until a plugin or program developed for Linux becomes cross platform and still they don't show any appreciation. I know it's great if other platforms start recognizing us and these users start using Linux butt I think that's a long long road away.
Maybe if we concentrated on Linux only and we make it the best we can as possible, then they may notice instead of catering to the other platforms.
What I'm trying to say is making Linux a lot more appealing. Just from we the community making it stronger will work. Like the old saying goes, build it and they will come.
From guys like myself who can not code a program or anything like that just start using only Linux based software and plugins and not rely on wine and maybe help our coders and programmers by giving feedback on what they have created to make everything as usable as possible. That's just my take on this.


Linux will never be more appealing than it already is, unless something really nasty happens to Windows and people are left with no choice. Making Linux "more appealing" would require breaking many aspects of its paradigm and dumbing it down. No linuxer wants to see that happen.

Forgoing Wine is just a waste of good software. A lot of effort has been put into it, it works, and it's very useful. It is, in fact, something that makes Linux more appealing.

All true but didn't they say something like that about the other platforms? Ok so yes about wine as many find it quite useful but maybe the equivalent of those apps being developed for Linux would be great. Again this is just a discussion as I still can't see the reason behind making Linux developed software available for the other platforms if like you say, Linux has plateaued in it's appeal.
I was told before that by doing so would bring in more devs to assist but they just assist for their platforms. It just feels like the Big Two are the cool guys in the playground and us Linuxers would like to join the cool dudes. Why can't we be us?
AGAIN, THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT BUT JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO AND MAYBE WHY kvr challenges MAYBE USELESS for the Linux audio community.
sadko4u for instance is offering to make new plugins in this thread: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16517&e=1&view=unread#p76836

Maybe we should see if he can make our favourite Windows vst equivalent for Linux? :D
Let's grow the Linux Audio Brand in other words. Make the grass. as green on our side too.
AGAIN, JUST A DISCUSSION AS I'M TRYING TO FIGURE WHY WE CAN'T STAND ON OUR OWN THAT'S ALL. :D
I think we can.. It may take some time but we can.

Luc
Establlshed Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby Luc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Unless I've misunderstood you, it seems to me that your whole attitude about it is too politically inclined, and wasteful. For example, I just saw the kind of plugins you requested/suggested to Vladimir and, well... I already have all of those on my machine, and I am very happy with their quality. But they're all made for Windows and require Wine/Airwave, so I assume they're not good enough for you. So you'd rather have a developer spend his time reinventing wheels that we already have than try to come up with something that we don't. Just so we can brag about it because it's native Linux software. I don't believe that kind of flag planting will help Linux.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Establlshed Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby funkmuscle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Luc wrote:Unless I've misunderstood you, it seems to me that your whole attitude about it is too politically inclined, and wasteful. For example, I just saw the kind of plugins you requested/suggested to Vladimir and, well... I already have all of those on my machine, and I am very happy with their quality. But they're all made for Windows and require Wine/Airwave, so I assume they're not good enough for you. So you'd rather have a developer spend his time reinventing wheels that we already have than try to come up with something that we don't. Just so we can brag about it because it's native Linux software. I don't believe that kind of flag planting will help Linux.

AGAIN DUDE, NOT HERE TO FIGHT! Wine works for your needs but not mine. Yes I've tried Airwaves too. So from your reply, not reinventing the wheel says I go without. Not being political and don't see how from me inquiring you came up with that. Even if I worked or phrased a sentence wrong, I clearly stated that I'm not here to fight but to discuss. That meant that if I offended, sorry. I said that because every time some post here and the posting is quite clear, someone seem to get all up in that person's face. Let's just talk. Never did I say the Windows plugins are bad.. I said why not make native plugins! Where did you come up with that? I'm just saying wouldn't it be great to have native versions of these plugins. What's wrong with that? Everyone uses reverb and the convolution ones seem to sound more natural so what's wrong with that request? No, the Windows versions don't work for me.
I had a project near completion to have airwaves just stop working. I had to start all over. So now I stick to Linux native. DUDE, BE HAPPY WITH YOUR PLUGINS. That's awesome.
I'll mention again, NOT HERE TO FIGHT BUT DISCUSS. Maybe like Luc said, why reinvent the wheel? Airwaves work for some, not for all.

Luc
Establlshed Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby Luc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:52 pm

I simply disagreed, and explained exactly why. That isn't fighting.

Sorry for your trouble.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Establlshed Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby funkmuscle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:59 pm

Luc wrote:I simply disagreed, and explained exactly why. That isn't fighting.

Sorry for your trouble.

no probs and awesome that you do disagreed. That's all I'm looking for is a discussion.. You just got me when you said i was political and I disagree.
Maybe you can help me with the airwaves. Like we both know, they are plugins we don't have here that maybe useful from Windows for me in the mean time.

Luc
Establlshed Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby Luc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:11 am

funkmuscle wrote:Maybe you can help me with the airwaves. Like we both know, they are plugins we don't have here that maybe useful from Windows for me in the mean time.

Yes, maybe. There are a few threads on Airwave in the forum. If you have any questions about it, you can post them in one of the existing threads or open a new one. If I can help, I will.

I take a look at the "Active Topics" page almost every day. I reply rarely because I am usually not qualified to help, I'm still a newbie here, but if anyone asks questions about Airwave, I might know the answer and reply.

I can also talk about specific plugins, e.g. whether they work or not, because I have tested many of them. Tons. I mean, A LOT.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Establlshed Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby funkmuscle » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:25 am

Luc wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Maybe you can help me with the airwaves. Like we both know, they are plugins we don't have here that maybe useful from Windows for me in the mean time.

Yes, maybe. There are a few threads on Airwave in the forum. If you have any questions about it, you can post them in one of the existing threads or open a new one. If I can help, I will.

I take a look at the "Active Topics" page almost every day. I reply rarely because I am usually not qualified to help, I'm still a newbie here, but if anyone asks questions about Airwave, I might know the answer and reply.

I can also talk about specific plugins, e.g. whether they work or not, because I have tested many of them. Tons. I mean, A LOT.


that's awesome.. I'll post in the airwaves threads once I've dug up my old vsts. Thanx again Luc

rghvdberg
Establlshed Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

Re: KVR Developer Challenge 2016

Postby rghvdberg » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:07 am

Maybe it's time for a 'What do we have? What do we need thread?


Return to “Developer's Section”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests